Monday, September 15, 2008

The Mac 'N' Cheesiest

I have never understood the draw of macaroni and cheese from a box. I mean, sure, it's convenient, but while there may be macaroni, can you really call that florescent powder cheese? Really? Even Velveeta falls closer to actual cheese on the spectrum of "Foods That Are Cheese" versus "Foods (or should I say substances?) That Are Not Cheese".

I am, however, very partial to the Real Thing. Comfort food doesn't get much better than a mound of noodles bound together by lovely, melting cheddar. Michael heartily agreed when I made it for dinner tonight.

"But I can see how some people may not like this so much," he said while tucking in.

"What?!" I countered.

"Well, some people don't like sharp cheese."

"But sharp cheese is what makes it taste so cheesy! Otherwise it's just creamy with too much filler," I paused, mulling over what Michael had said. I guess that not everyone does like sharp cheese, so maybe my version of mac 'n' cheese, made with white Tillamook cheddar that was aged for three years, might be a bit much. After all, it's not even yellow, much less radioactive orange.

Oh, well. That just leaves more for me.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

I just made macaroni and cheese for dinner too! I used regular tillamook cheddar, but extra sharp white tillamook cheddar is my favorite! We're definitely on the same macaroni and cheese page, Ruth :)
-Audrey