Thursday, September 11, 2008

Enchiladas for All

This week was an example of perfect timing. Some time last month I had offered to host a small gathering of friends for dinner while a mutual friend, who happens to be a missionary and English teacher in China whom we support, was visiting the Seattle area. Normally I don't get home from work until about 6:30 or later, which makes hosting weeknight dinners a bit of a challenge. I was confident this would work itself out, however, and lo and behold the realization dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that I was scheduled to work this coming Saturday, which means I get to take one weekday off instead. Bingo! I had Tuesday off of work so that I could concentrate on making enchiladas and getting the house ready for company. God works in mysterious ways.

It was good to see Dave and enjoy a meal with friends. I also learned that our house is apparently famed as "the house with the hammock" to our friends' Keri and Joseph's two young boys. That's a good thing, it would seem. Our house may not have much to offer young children, but it does have a hammock! And with the lovely weather we've been having lately, they got to stay on the porch and enjoy it while the adults had dinner in the adjacent dining room.

Enchiladas are one of those perfect company foods, too. You can whip them up in advance and then relax with friends while the oven does the rest. Good food, good weather, good friends. Good night!

No comments: