Friday, October 17, 2008

In the Beginning: The Great Road Trip of 2008: Day 1, October 2: Oregon, I Am Coming Home

To be honest, I can't say our road trip started with a bang. There were no trips to the airport, eager with anticipation for a city never before seen at the end of a too-long flight, no champagne bottles smashed off the bow of a ship while excited passengers wave streamers as they pull out of port. It started like any other weekend trip to my family's place in northwestern Oregon; Michael picked me up early from work while Lucy wiggled frantically in the back seat before anxiously settling in for a long ride as I took the wheel.

And off we were like a speeding bullet! We made good time, in fact, until we hit Portland at 5:30, still in plenty of time to participate in the evening's rush hour crush. We were all glad to finally make it to my parents' for dinner, an unusual mix of leftovers to which both my mom and I contributed, with a couple choice cheese selections thrown in for good measure.

The real trip, of course, would begin the following morning. Over the next week (or two - however long it takes) I'll be reliving the memories and offering reviews of where we visited and what we ate (and, oh baby, did we eat!). Enjoy the armchair view!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I'm looking forward to reading more about your trip!
If you get a chance sometime, you should post your pizza crust recipe. I still remember fondly that pizza we ate when Audrey, Katie and I came up to visit and plan for our Europe trip.

Ruta (aka Ruth Ann) said...

Thanks, Beth! I will definitely share the pizza recipe at some point (when I get around to it :-)