Monday, April 5, 2010

To Blog or Not to Blog

Happy Easter! Now that Lent is over, I'm back online. That's right - I gave up the Internet for Lent - at least, inasmuch as that was reasonable, meaning I was still online at work (technically all of our work systems are online, without even counting the times I go to the web for work-related information) and I used my lunch half-hour to respond to email, pay bills, and check my accounts online. But that was it: no Internet usage at home, no blogging, no random surfing, no news, no comics, nada. Plus, no TV, DVDs, or movies, period. The idea was to go as free from electronic visual media as possible.

In a way, I'm sad it's over. Lent has a way of forcing me into self-control that I might otherwise lack. However, the idea that this self-imposed media fast would bring about reflection on relationships and spiritual needs over material over-consumption may not have exactly panned out.

As for the blog... I'm not sure what step to take next. I enjoy the writing, but sometimes the banal, "hey, look what I did today, come read all about it!" aspect of blogging can be wearing. It was good to take a break. Maybe it's time for something a little different.

But first - Rutabagastories goes on tour again. I'll be flying into Frankfurt next Monday, and spending five weeks in Europe. Where will I go? Follow along, if you're curious. I know I am.

No comments: